What you need to know about filing an amended tax return

What are common reasons people need to file and amended return:

  • Entering income incorrectly
  • Not claiming credits for which they’re eligible
  • Claiming deductions incorrectly

Most errors can be fixed by filing a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. If you find a error on your return or are notified by a notice, you should bring it to the attention of your preparer. For more information please check out the IRS’s FAQ’s.

If you have already filed an amended tax return you can check the status three weeks after filing using the Where’s My Amended Return? tool. Processing can take up to sixteen weeks.